A requirement we have had several times from clients is to implement a Lessons Learned Database in SharePoint.
This provides a system where users and key stakeholders can record good and bad experiences throughout the company and hopefully learn from them and embrace a culture of continual improvement.
This sort of application is where SharePoint can shine. We have implemented very simple Lessons Learned applications to very complex ones.
Components would usually include:
- A source list (example columns – Title, Description, Status, Created By, Raised Date, Category, Responsible User)
- Workflow to notify responsible person, and possibly approval to accept the lesson
- Custom Views
- Custom Permissions
- Custom search (often a bespoke
- Lessons Learned tab in the search centre)
- Branded landing page
- Latest lessons learned displayed on intranet homepage